Friday, March 1, 2024

The Goodness Factor

 It is very easy to believe that people are unkind when you read news accounts or watch TikTok challenges. But, based on my experience, many people seem to be carrying a high degree of worry and anxiety around with them and sometimes that makes them less kind than they would otherwise be. For example, a neighbor's parent passed away and in dealing with their grief, they snapped at me when I was exchanging pleasantries. The next time I saw them, they apologized and we commiserated about how grief can really be hard to handle. We are better neighbors as a result of the exchange, thanks to the clearing of the air. This makes me think that people are probably better than we think they are. It is not every exchange that we get clarity about. But better to presume that people are doing their best, regardless of their behavior. 

I want to talk about the goodness factor which is my very nonscientific theory that goodness is the predominant thing we humans have going for us. It is why we try to avoid running down confused squirrels in the street and continue to listen to friends' woes even when they have made their point numerous times. We really want to do good in this world. Leave it to the comedians to say what we are all really thinking about those things that irritate us mercilessly but we tend to lead from compassion or goodness first! And good for us.

Do we always live up to it? No, we all have our own problems and concerns so it stands to reason we aren't always as good as we can be. Still, when we act in a less-than-positive way toward others, we tend to feel guilty. I don't know about you but when I feel guilty, I tend to try to make amends or strive to do better--again, it is the goodness factor at work.

Even on my most cynical day, I make an allowance for this mysterious factor that promises a better tomorrow. Call it reckless optimism if you'd like but it seems to get us through the bad times. Maybe it is because when you figure out how much dumb luck we have just to be alive, goodness seems like the least we can do.

No comments: