Monday, February 14, 2022

Valentines Day 2022

 I meandered recently about my love on her birthday, but I am okay with also meandering about her on Valentine's Day--after all, this is our 38th edition of sharing this lovely day. For the record, I knew I was in love with her from our second meeting. We spent that night at a place called Zanzibar for dessert and a long conversation on a school jungle gym.  I can't remember many of the words spoken, but I remember the way she made me feel which was like I was living in the present and the future all at once. I can't really recall our first or even seventeenth Valentine's Day together but do know that most every day is our Valentine's Day because we adopted a philosophy about how our love would best serve us. It was a story attributed to the wonderful playwright, Lillian Hellman who lived in a tumultuous love affair with the famed writer Dashiell Hammett for well-on thirty years. She is said to have answered what she would like to have on their tombstones as the following, "In the end, they were together for the best of all possible reasons, the pleasure of one another's company." 

And that is pretty much what Betsy and I are going for. To do this, we take our marriage day by day and see it as temporary until further notice. To treat it in this way makes it a top priority at all times, which means it deserves our full attention more than say our careers or what color the paint should be in the living room.

This day, we both are not feeling as well as we'd like. Yesterday we went to see the film "Licorice Pizza" which we loved. Tomorrow? Who knows? What I do know is it will be for the pleasure of her company!

No comments: