Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Springing Ahead

 Iowa City in the spring is a joy to be in. As I wrote about last, the green is returning to the lawns, crocuses and daffodils are bursting forth and, in between, really cold mornings, the warmer weather is beginning to announce itself. Also, the neighbors are coming out of hiding and coats are becoming jackets again. The only downside to the change of season, at least in our neighborhood, is the return of the sounds of construction.

I have tinnitus and noise is always problematic for me. Deep bass sounds feel like a sledgehammer in my head and certain super high-pitched noises are like having a dental drill going through my head from ear to ear. This spring the city is installing a much-needed new bridge over the nearby creek. This means that cranes, earthmovers, jackhammers, and piledrivers are just down the block from our home. 

Fortunately for me, I go off to work just as the neon-clad construction crew begin the job and return when they have finished up for the day. My wife--well, she's not so lucky. She reports on the racket and also looks for reasons to be away from home during the worst of it. According to the city, the project will wrap up by October. Oh, joy...

I understand the need to improve infrastructure. I am generally a fan of it. When it is in my quiet part of the world, well, that's different. My ears need a rest from loudness and I worry that as the days grow longer, the crews may work longer. If that happens, I may need to move into a hotel. Betsy may need to do that even sooner.

No comments: